The truth is, moving in is not always fun and exciting. It can be extremely stressful that you would need plenty of time and planning to effectively prepare for the process. When planning to move houses, make sure to give yourself at least two months to plot things out and find the help that you need.
This is especially important for people who are moving for the first time. If you find yourself in a similar situation and not sure as to how to begin, here is a moving-houses-in-the-UK checklist to help you out:
Two months before moving
You would need plenty of time to plan everything out when moving to another state or across the country. Allot at least two months to get everything in order, especially those that involve plenty of paperwork. It would be best if you take some time off from work to settle and secure important documents.
Two months before moving, you should:
- Gather boxes and containers to put your things in
- Select and separate the items you would like to bring (designate boxes for items that you would like to keep, sell, donate, and discard)
- Review, adjust, and update your insurance policies as needed
- Sort out mortgage payments for your new home
A month before moving
This is the time where most chartered surveyors contact new homeowners to arrange property surveys for their new homes. With that said, you should:
- Exchange contracts with your realtor
- Finalize your moving-in date with your property handler
- Book auto transport service
- Check and obtain parking permits from your neighbourhood
A week before moving
As the moving-in day comes closer, the days left for you to prepare might feel shorter. At this time, you should have settled all the essential documents and paperwork. You should have also obtained needed permits for your household and vehicles. Other things you need to do are:
- Double-check your documents and keep a copy for additional safety
- Prepare and arrange boxes and containers that the local movers need to get days later
- Prepare backpacks or handbags you will bring on your travel and make sure that essentials and medications are easily accessible
A day before moving
At this time, you should have prepared everything that you need. The mover should have collected your boxes of items, and the auto transport company should have picked up your car. A day before you move, you would only need to prepare for the simplest tasks, including:
- Prepare the clothes you will be wearing tomorrow on your travel
- Double-check the items in your carry-ons
- Secure needed documents once you arrived at your new home
- Ready your passport if you are flying on a plane
Take this opportunity to contact your realtor or property handler for a meetup once you arrive.
During the moving day
By this time, you shouldn’t worry about your belongings and the items you will bring with you on your travel. Once you have arrived at your new home, you only need to do one thing and that is to:
- Take a break and relax
If you have the luxury of time, unpack your boxes the next day. Take this moment to unwind and acknowledge that you are in a new place. Breathe—you are about to start a new chapter of your life.
As you can see, there are a lot of things you should prepare and plan for at least two months before moving into your new home. Aside from moving your belongings and vehicles, there are many forms and documents you would need to prepare and settle. If you want a smooth moving-in experience, you should plan your actions accordingly.
If you are planning to move and are looking for a local removal company in the UK, get in touch with us today. We ensure that your belongings are kept safe and secured during transit!